Marine and Hydro Kinetic Tools (MHKiT) is providing the marine renewable energy (MRE) community open source tools for data processing, visualization, quality control, resource assessment, and device performance. As part of MHKiT’s Task 1, the team will contribute modules to perform quality control (QC) checks on data. Robust and automatic QC checks, assessment, and filtering are critical for quickly identifying and removing inaccurate data. In addition, automated QC methods are becoming increasingly necessary as the volume of data being collected by instrumentation networks grows. Providing standard data quality modules in MHKiT will result in:
- A common set of QC tools that can be used consistently across the MRE community
- Support for automated data processing for streaming instrument data
- An increase in data quality and data relevance for design, evaluation, and certification of MRE systems
- An increase in the probability of success and impact of laboratory and field testing
- A reduction in costs and timelines of laboratory and field validation and certification.
This document provides a description of the approach that will be used to provide QC capabilities for MHKiT and a summary of the data quality checks and tools that will be developed.