As preparation for deployment of the 1:3 scale WEC, a 1:9 scale system has been developed designed and build.
As test site for the 1:9 model the test site at Nissum Bredning was chosen. The waters at Nissum Bredning are not as energetic as waves in the North Sea. Thus, Nissum Bredning is almost an ideal location for a scaled down test to validate the future 1:3 model.
The 1:9 model was designed using the analytical tools developed for the later 1:3 model. The design takes into account the benign wave climate at Nissum Bredning, resulting in a very light and cost effective design. By surviving the wave climate in Nissum Bredning the model validates the current design approach.
By building and deploying the 1:9 scale model important experiences are gained on three different levels:
Level 1: Validation of conceptual system design
- Validation of over-all design approach and numerical models
- Validation of Force Cancellation in real waters
- Validation of deployment strategy
- Validation of mooring strategy
Level 2: System study
- System output and comparison to numerical models
- Pressure and flow of energized water feed
- Test of system handling of tidal (mooring)
Level 3: Sub system testing
- Wear of pumps and plates
- Materials and material combinations
- Effect of marine growth
- Data logging system