After the removal of the TGL tidal turbine foundation that was installed at EMEC’s Fall of Warness tidal test site, the FoDTEC project has completed activities to assess biofouling, corrosion, metallurgical defects and electrical connector longevity. Work has been completed by the following partners in the project:
- Blackfish Engineering Design Ltd: responsible for coordination of inspection activities, as well as visual inspection and data collection
- Brunel University, responsible for metallurgical assessment
- Herriot Watt University, ICIT, responsible for bio-fouling assessment
- ROVCO, responsible to ROV survey and subsequent 3D imagery.
- EMEC, responsible for managing the tripod removal.
The project has consisted of the following activities:
- Tripod removal from seabed and transport to sheltered location.
- Diver and ROV biofouling survey conducted by ICIT
- ROV scanning survey conducted by ROVCO, to create a replica 3D CAD model of the tripod
- Cut up and removal of the tripod onto Hatston Quay
- Photo survey and assessment of biofouling and corrosion
- Removal of cartridge plate and electrical connectors for further assessment
- Tripod sample cut-out and removal for detailed metallurgical assessment by Brunel University
The main objectives of the project were:
- To develop a process of data collection to obtain a comprehensive understanding of the end-of-life condition of Ocean energy Converter (OEC) devices
- Validate this service through its execution in a relevant OEC decommissioning project.
- Validate ICIT’s system for the monitoring of biofouling on OEC devices, through its implementation in a relevant environment.
- Develop guidelines for material specification to respond to the combination of marine and fatigue corrosion.
- Present the collected and analysed data in a suitable format for dissemination to the wider OEC industry.
This report provides an overall summary of the work completed. More detailed reports of the activities completed by individual companies can be found in the references.
All partner companies have been able to develop their services of providing analysis in their respective specialist fields and have provided recommendations and lessons learned regarding provision of the services.