Using information on the biology of biofouling organisms and drawing upon data showing how various industries worldwide are affected by and limit the impact of biofouling, this review shall:
- Explain biofouling and how it occurs.
- Provide an overview of the range of biofouling organisms and how they attach to various substrates.
- Explore factors that influence the development of biofouling including water velocity, pressure, temperature, depth, light, and construction materials.
- Review the impacts of biofouling on industry.
- Detail commercially available antifouling technologies.
- Determine the extent to which a wave energy converter using an open loop seawater hydraulic system may suffer from biofouling.
- Outline measures that may be used to control or alleviate biofouling.