The cost metrics presented throughout this document are derived or estimated from known Pelamis P2 costs for components that were selected based on optimising the Levelised Cost of Energy (LCoE) for the Pelamis as a whole.
All of the costs included in this document are discussed in more detail in the relevant cost metrics reports:
- PTO Cost Metrics covers PTO system costs as well as costs associated with the main structural elements
- Mooring & Connection Systems Cost Metrics provides further information on the basis of the moorings and electrical infrastructure costs.
The lowest up-front cost of components does not necessarily lead to the most commercially beneficial project and so a balance must be achieved. For example, doubling up on component to provide redundancy and fault tolerance may provide huge cost savings over the life of the project due to increased availability.
The additional drivers, as well as cost, that need to be considered when selecting components include:
- WEC availability
- PTO efficiency
- Power Capture
- Impact on O&M costs and strategy.
Separate pages detail cost metrics and costs in their most practical form for individual components, systems, assemblies, or component types within the following sub-systems:
- Pelamis Main Structural Components
- PTO Primary Transmission Components
- PTO Energy Storage Components
- PTO Secondary Transmission Components
- Miscellaneous Additional Components
- Mechanical Mooring Components
- SubSea Electrical Infrastructure